Front Desk Agent Job in Hinton, AB at Overlander Mountain Lodge –
The Overlander Mountain Lodge, Jasper East Cabins, and Northaven Retreat Center pride themselves on providing a boutique experience for both guests and the members of our team!
Here, you will find that everything is designed to be personal. It is a place for our staff to grow in experience and skill while enjoying the richness of life in the heart of the Rocky Mountains.
Our location is one of the many reasons people wish to work here. Quiet and removed from the busy tourist sites, we are surrounded by lesser-known hikes and climbs and closer to Miette Hot Springs than anyone in Jasper! Meanwhile, the nearby town of Hinton contains everything you could need, plus the network of Beaver Boardwalk trails and a mountain bike park.
The other part of the Overlander experience is that we are a family-owned, family-operated business. We are dedicated to excellence and to setting ourselves apart from larger resorts and hotels.
We receive a high number of applications so we would like to take a few minutes to tell you more about our operations and ourselves to ensure a good potential fit!
Who: We are the Griffiths family, and we have a passion for this property, its setting and especially the people who choose to spend their vacation time with us! We have owned and operated the Overlander for 27 years. We have an excellent management team, and over the years the Overlander has become known as one of the top lodges for fine dining and quality accommodation in the Hinton & Jasper area.
Where: We are located 15 minutes west of the town of Hinton, and 35 minutes east of the town of Jasper. Just outside the east gates of the National Park, we overlook one of the most scenic vistas the Rockies have to offer.
Both guests and staff come to the area because of Jasper National Park and the exhilaration of either visiting or living in the mountains. They come for the fresh, clean air and rivers, the breathtaking views, the hiking, the fishing, and the mountain biking. In the winter, they enjoy snowshoeing and both downhill and cross-country skiing!
What: The fifty-seat dining room is the centerpiece of the Overlander’s 40 hotel rooms and chalets. The property is surrounded by mountains and forests and crisscrossed by hiking trails. The Overlander is a mountain getaway, serving mostly families and couples who come to us for peace and quiet.
When: A typical year at the Overlander follows the four seasons. Naturally, the staff at a holiday lodge work while others are on holidays. While we are open year-round, the summer high season runs from June through September. This is our busiest time as we accommodate both Canadian and International tourists! In the summer, we have a full staff of both seasonal and permanent employees.
Why: We offer some of the finest on-site staff accommodation in the area. Our dry & non-smoking building is newly built, and thoughtfully designed for comfort and convenience. Each self-contained bedroom unit is fully furnished, has a private washroom with a shower, and access to satellite TV and internet. Additional features include low emf, a grounding plug installed by each bed, and a shared yoga practice space (pending approval from the general manager). There is a bright, open common area for cooking and socializing, and balconies for enjoying the immediate outdoors. Built with the environment in mind, the structure has been created from sea can shipping containers and will be reserved for quiet, health-focused individuals.
How: The Overlander would not have built the reputation it has today if not for truly excellent staff, past and present. Our team members have a strong work ethic, a cheerful outlook, and are committed to providing memorable experiences for every single guest.
If you believe this describes you, and you believe you would enjoy your time here and thrive, I welcome you to apply through our job postings or career page. We look forward to hearing from you!
- Welcome guests walking in the door
- Register guests
- Assign room keys
- Provide information about the lodge, the services, and activities available in the area
- Verify credit and establish how the guest will pay for the accommodation
- Promote and sell guest rooms/ packages/ gift certificates
- At check out, review accounts with guests, explain charges and take payment for accounts.
- Balance cash out
- Advise/ communicate with housekeeping
- Assist dining room by acting as host, seating guests, answering inquiries about the menu, hanging guest jackets in the front entrance
- Keep an accurate inventory of room reservations
- Respond to reservation inquiries
- Answer telephone, direct calls appropriately and/or take messages
- Read incoming emails, sorting through which to reply to (reservations) and which to print off or forward for other people.
- Deal with customer complaints or refer dissatisfied customers to management
- Sell merchandise
- Take dinner reservations/ communicate with dining room supervisor when seating plan is filling up
- Keep front desk stocked with brochures, pamphlets, etc
- Keep front desk neat and tidy
- Build a fire in the evening and ensure it is burning nicely for the guests to enjoy.
- Retrieve any things guests may need from supplies downstairs. Ex: blankets, pillows, towels, soap, etc.
- Assist guests with their gas fireplace.
- Other duties as assigned by management.
Job Types: Full-time, Part-time, Seasonal
- Monday to Friday
- Weekend availability
- When are you able to start?
- Why would you be a great fit to work at the Overlander?
- front desk: 1 year (preferred)
About the Company
Company: Overlander Mountain Lodge –
Company Location: Hinton, AB